Call for paper for the 7th Ethnography and qualitative research conference organized by: University of Bergamo, Etnografia e Ricerca Qualitativa (ERQ) / Ethnography and Qualitative Research, il Mulino
The 2018 Ethnography and Qualitative Research Conference aims to build on the rich intellectual discussion developed during the previous editions. Researchers from across a variety of disciplines including sociology, anthropology, political sciences, arts & humanities, education, social work, geography, cultural studies, science and technology studies, and gender studies are able to present their research, discuss findings, theory and methodology in a lively and friendly environment.
- The core mission of the conference is to:
- foster scholarly exchange and facilitate research collaborations among senior and junior scholars based in different universities and research centres in Europe and further afield;
- support the dissemination of fresh, original research;
- encourage PhD students at different stages of their research to share and present preliminary findings and fieldwork experience;
- welcome graduate and undergraduate students as members of the audience and active participants in conference discussions.
The conference embraces and endorses a broad, ambitious view of ethnographic research. Ethnography is understood as an inquiry into the processes, implications, and meanings of social life and culture in groups, organizations, and institutions across diverse social spaces and settings. Accordingly, contributions can be based on a variety of methods, including participant observation, in-depth interviews, focus groups, video-based field studies, auto-ethnography, visual ethnography, discourse studies, and other forms of inquiry inspired and informed by an ethnographic sensibility. The Conference welcomes empirically grounded, theoretically informed, and methodologically sound proposals that contribute to the substantive knowledge of the social world and contemporary emerging phenomena.
The 7th edition features keynote talks and thematic sessions (see the full list below) addressing current key issues such as migration in its various aspect and the neoliberal turn in academic life and higher education. The format is based on 3-hour sessions with 5 to 6 paper presentations per session, leaving as much room as possible for debate and discussion.
WHEN / WHERE
Bergamo (Italy) – June 6-9, 2018
See here the full list of panels.
Proposal must be submitted by January 15, 2018. To submit your proposal please send an e-mail to the convenor/s of the session of your choice and to the conference committee (firstname.lastname@example.org), indicating the title of the chosen session. Please send:
- the title of your talk and an abstract of maximum 1000 words (.doc, .docx, .odt, .txt, .rtf);
- your contact details (full name, e-mail, post address and affiliation) and those of your co-author/s, if any;
- if you like (we would like!), a short videotalk (2 min. max.), not necessarily a piece of what your proposed talk would be, but a sort of teaser trailer for it, and a piece of you too (by sending the video, you thereby allow the organizing committee to upload the video at its discretion, in full or cut form, on the youtube channel of Etnografia e Ricerca Qualitativa: www.youtube.com/channel/UCTAnycGjE5KzDCr-AnFJwow/feed).
Abstracts (and video talks) must be submitted in English. The official languages of the conference, however, are Italian, English, and French; for each session, languages will be used depending on the participants composition. Contributors must register by April 16, 2018 to be included in the program.
The conference has a registration fee. For PhD, unemployed/part-time scholars it is € 75 by April 3, 2018; € 105 after April 3, 2018.
Picture Graphic by Manuel Strali.